Are you an English speaking resident of Guadalajara? A visitor? A potential resident? A Spanish speaker who wants to learn conversational English? If so, the American Society of Jalisco (AMSOC) is a great resource for services, socializing and information in the Guadalajara metropolitan area!
We have been in Guadalajara since 1945 and AMSOC membership consists of retirees, working professionals, students, and others. Our members hail from the U.S., Canada, England, Mexico, The Netherlands, Yugoslavia and Peru. With our membership this varied, we can provide you with information, services, and contacts that will improve your Guadalajara experience as a visitor or resident. If you are considering living here, we can help make the transition easier.
We Are Volunteers!
Social and other events held by The American Society are largely hosted by member volunteers. Drop by and talk with us and you will find that no matter what talent or skill you possess, it will be valuable!
Programs & Services
AMSOC facilities are available to anyone for classes or programs of interest to members. A small donation from fees charged is payable to AMSOC.
- Weekly Luncheon – Every Thursday, a healthy and delicious lunch prepared here in our kitchen.
- Free Library – with over 4,000 English-language books and DVD movies!
- FREE Spanish Classes – Fridays at 10:00 AM (beginning,) and Fridays at 12:00 noon (intermediate.)
- Themed Event Parties – These luncheon parties include popular holiday fare for Valentines Day, St. Patrick’s Day, American Independence Day, Mexican Independence Day, Halloween / Oktoberfest, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day. Also spectator events such as the Super Bowl, and Academy Awards.
- Book Club – Generally every third Thursday of the month followed by an after lunch movie based on the book. Also a Spanish Book Club.
- Important Information – on how to find qualified medical and dental services and how to Sign up for national health insurance [IMSS].
- Advice – on doing your own immigration papers, or referral to a competent adviser.
- Meditation Class is at 10:15 AM on Thursdays
|Services for Everyone:
|| Services for Members: